HOW TO REACH HERAKLION
(HERAKLION google map)
- Several flights are available daily, connecting the Heraklion International Airport (“Nikos Kazantzakis”, airport Code: HER) with the Athens International Airport “Eleftherios Venizelos” (ATH) and the International Airport of Thessaloniki (SKG).
- These flights are operated by OLYMPIC, Aegean Airlines, Sky Express, Ellinair, and VOLOTEA. Additionally, from April to October, direct charter flights connect several major European cities with Heraklion.
Heraklion is also connected to the Port of Piraeus in Athens with daily ferry boat service by:
- Minoan Lines (Departure at about 21:00, Arrival at 7:00)
- ANEK Lines – Superfast Ferries (Departure at about 21:00, Arrival at 7:00)
HOW TO REACH HERAKLION CENTER
From the Airport:
By bus: The airport is very well-connected to the city center by public bus. One-way ticket: €1.70
By taxi: It takes less than 10 minutes to get to the city center and costs about €15.
From the Port:
Most city hotels are within walking distance from the Port of Heraklion.
By taxi: It takes less than 5-10 minutes to get to any of the city hotels and costs about € 10.
HOW TO REACH FORTH
FORTH campus is located 10 km South-West of Heraklion and can be reached by:
With Iraklio Urban Buses
Buses directing to FORTH reaching the Eleftherias/Liberty Square (Platia Eleftherias) bus stop, outside Astoria Hotel (see city map above) at approximately: 07:30, 08:40, 11:40, 14:10, 15:40, 17:30, 19:50, 21:25. There are two Buses lines:
a. Bus line No 8 connects the airport to FORTH through the city center (Please note: Sign on the bus writing “I.T.E.”)
b. Bus line No 11 connects the city center directly to the University Hospital (Please note: Sign on the bus reads “ΠΑΓΝΗ- ΠΑΝΕΠΙΣΤΗΜΙΟ” (PAGNI–UNIVERSITY). This bus makes a stop at approximately 300 meters from FORTH’s main entrance and operates at a frequency of about 15 minutes. The trip duration is about 30 minutes.
Keep in ming that one-way ticket at € 1.70 can be purchased at special vending machines near bus stops or city kiosks. Please make sure you get your return ticket in advance.
- From Heraklion city center to FORTH:
The most convenient taxi queue is at “Eleftheria’s Square” (“Platia Eleftherias” in Greek).
A taxi ride takes about 20-30 minutes and costs approximately € 15
- From airport to FORTH:
Taxi service is provided just outside the airport.
A taxi ride takes about 15-25 minutes and costs approximately € 20
Please advise the cab driver that you are going to “ITE” (located near the University and the University Hospital –“ΠΑΓΝΗ” PAGNI).